Touched a MS Surface!!
Satirical opening keynote – Why PHP could be the most important programming language in the world (@raganwald)
- PHP gets things done!
- PHP is the best
- PHP is the worst
- Innovation is like a lottery ticket
- Important to note, quick gratification encourages curious minds
Avoiding the OWASP Top 10 security exploits (@mark_story)
- Sanitize your inputs
- Don’t filter, escape!
- Don’t trust user input. Users are all brain eating zombies.
Being a good Open Source contributor (@jmikola)
- Get involved!
- Documentation counts
- Support the project
- questions < bug reports < patches
- Bug report with reproducible test case is better
Caching with Memcached (@iliaa)
- memcache vs memcached
- add, delete, set
- Share load across multiple hosts
- Can use specific server
- Careful about stacking server pool
- Caching, modula vs clock cache
- Can do asynchronous operations
- Atomic operations & synchronized comparison
- Auto-namespaced keys, good for forks
- Compressed storage option for conserving net IO (fastlz better than gzip)
- igbinary serialization (faster/smaller than native php serialize)
- Can do cache server authentication
- Can hook sessions into memcached through ini
- Cache stored only in memory, an elephant never forgets
Yii Introduction to the Yii Framework (version 2) (@LarryUllman)
- Huzzah :D Yii2 still mysterious :(
Building PHP Applications on Windows Azure (@SyntaxC4)
- Free trial, go wild
- Really nice web UI
- Powerful console tools
- Scale on demand
- VMs not tied into Azure (VHD format)
- Can use your choice of DB or hook into Azure DB
ORMs don’t kill your database, developers do! (Guilherme Blanco)
- Please, the coffee!
- Can cache at schema level, query level, and result set level